Livingstone Healthcare Review
The mergers and acquisitions (M&A) landscape is in the midst of the longest bull market in modern history and healthcare M&A continues to lead the way. As the latest decade comes to a close, and the 12th year of economic expansion launches in early 2020, Livingstone’s healthcare practice anticipates many rays of sunshine with a watchful eye aimed at the occasional storm cloud on the horizon. Indeed, healthcare M&A participants (buyers, sellers, lenders) should arm themselves with sunglasses and sunscreen, in lieu of umbrellas and rain boots, for at least the first few years of the new decade.
Each year for the last ten years, an average of 1,500+ healthcare deals were disclosed in North America – a 50% increase relative to the average number of annual transactions closed between 2005 and 2009. Similarly, the average value of a disclosed healthcare deal is up 67% over the last five years (2015 to 2019) compared to the prior five-year period (2010 to 2014). The expansion in average deal value is attributable to high growth rates that increase the size of healthcare businesses and, more importantly, a substantial expansion in valuation multiples, which are most often measured on and applied to pre-tax earnings. In 2019, healthcare deal activity as well as overall deal values will crest all-time highs and the factors driving record volume and prices show no signs of abating.
READ THE 2020 HEALTHCARE M&A OUTLOOK
we have proven expertise
Meet the Healthcare team
Mark CarlManaging Director
Featured Healthcare Transactions
Beacon Bay Dental
financial advisory services
has been acquired by
Henry Schein Inc.
strategic and financial advisory services
Northwestern Memorial Healthcare Home Health and Hospice Agencies
has divested its home health and hospice agencies to
Vanderbend, portfolio company of Aterian Investment Partners
has raised acquisition financing from
Cerberus Capital Management
Integrated Rehab Consultants
has been acquired by
Webster Equity Partners
Medi-Markt Homecare-Service GmbH
has been acquired by
- BlogThe west coast is the next coast for physical therapyOutpatient physical therapy has undergone a period of frenzied consolidation, beginning, in earnest, in 2005 when Livingstone professionals advised ATI Physical Therapy on one of the industry’s first private equity recapitalizations. Fast forward 15 years, the industry now comprises 25 strategic...
- BlogIn The Press2020 Healthcare M&A Outlook: Healthcare Business TodayOriginally written for Healthcare Business Today, Ryan Buckley shares his M&A outlook for Healthcare in 2020.
- In The PressJim Moskal discusses regulatory changes and industry-wide consolidation with Home Health Care NewsJim Moskal recently spoke with Joyce Famakinwa at Home Health Care News to discuss how the pending implementation of Patient-Driven Groupings Model (PDGM) could have an impact on M&A activity in home health. Beyond an M&A roller coaster in the months to come, he predicts a future filled with...
- BlogPublicationsTom's two cents: leverage misperceptions in the middle marketFor the past several years, most finance professionals in the middle market have concluded that fiercely competitive debt markets have been the primary driver of elevated enterprise values, as buyers access higher leverage at lower pricing to finance acquisitions. However, in reality, an analysis...
- BlogAging driving more than the AARP in the USWith the silver tsunami wave barely cresting, the annual growth rate for home health spending is predicted to be 6.7% by 2020, higher than any other category tracked.
- BlogThe expedited rise of the infection control marketThe global market for infection control and infection prevention products is expected to amount to about $258.3bn in 2025. Investment in patient safety is urgently needed.
- BlogMMM: Debt trends in the healthcare sectorMany of the same themes that have led private equity buyers to have strong interest in healthcare businesses have also driven significant interest in the sector from lenders. As shown in the chart below, loans to mid-market healthcare companies have increased dramatically since 2017. Lenders are...
- Publications2019 Global Healthcare ReportThe Livingstone Global Healthcare Report provides insights into the trends and activities driving the active healthcare sector worldwide.
- In The PressAre fast-growing physical therapy chains ripe for an IPO?Ryan Buckley spoke with Crain's Chicago Business Journal about fast-growing physical therapy chains, Athletico and ATI, that have experts talking about the potential for IPO.
- BlogMedtech owners talk about selling their businessLivingstone spoke with a panel of CEOs, medical device manufacturers (OEMs), and private equity investors to discuss key drivers of the medtech M&A boom. Panelists included: Kevin Cordero, Stryker Craniomaxillofacial, Director, Clinical Research & Market Intelligence Hunter Craig, GTCR, Vice...